How to Use the Find and Recode Function in XERO
Using find and recode
You need the adviser user role to use find and recode.
When you use find and recode you make changes to individual transaction lines, not the entire transaction.
To access find and recode, in the Accounting menu, select Advanced, then click Find and recode.
Common recoding scenarios include, but aren't limited to:
- Changing the account code or tax rate
- Cleaning up contacts when there are variations of a contact name
- Combining accounts
- Adding or changing tracking categories
Supported and excluded transactions
You can search for and recode the following transactions:
|Transaction type||Transaction status||Transaction abbreviation|
|Spend money||Reconciled, unreconciled, and marked as reconciled.||SM|
|Receive money||Reconciled, unreconciled, and marked as reconciled.||RM|
|Prepayments (bills and invoices)||Unpaid, paid, reconciled, and unreconciled.||PR|
|Expense claims||Awaiting payment, paid and archived.||EC|
|Sales invoices, repeating invoices and credit notes||All - draft, awaiting approval, awaiting payment, and paid.||AR/CR|
|Purchase bills, repeating bills, bill credit notes||All - draft, awaiting approval, awaiting payment, and paid.||AP/CR|
|Manual journals||Draft and posted. You can also search for archived journals but you can't recode them.||MJ|
You can’t search for or recode the following transactions:
- Fixed assets
- Purchase orders or quotes
- Bank transfers or overpayments
- Payroll transactions (including wages, payable bills, payslips, and PDs)
- Voided transactions
- Any line of a purchase transaction that contains tracked inventory (account type = inventory)
Ways to recode
You can recode the source transaction or recode using a manual journal.
- Recode the source transaction – shows the correct code on the transaction line. Use this option if you want to recode a contact.
- Recode using a manual journal – Xero creates a draft journal to post. The source transaction always shows the original details.
- You can search for transaction lines matching or excluding one or more of the following conditions.
|Type||All supported transaction types.|
|Status||All transactions lines with statuses matching Draft, Awaiting Approval, Awaiting Payment and Paid. |
When you search for Awaiting Payment transactions the search results will include transaction lines for spend money and receive money.
|Account||Can't search accounts receivable, accounts payable, unpaid expense claims, tracking transfers, bank revaluations, unrealised currency gains, bank accounts, fixed assets, tracked inventory accounts or archived accounts.|
|Bank Account||Select one or more bank accounts that contain the transaction lines.|
|Reconciled Between||Select a date range to find transaction lines that were reconciled within the two dates.|
|Date||Transaction lines created on a specific date or within a certain date range. You can't search for transaction lines created prior to a lock date, unless a lock date was set for all users except advisers.|
|Transaction total||Amounts equal to, less than or more than a specific transaction total.|
|Tax rate||All active and archived tax rates.|
|Entered by||User that created the transaction.|
|Contact||Active contacts, but not archived contacts.|
|Invoice Number / Reference||The specific invoice number or reference of an invoice or bill.|
|Tracking||If you've created a tracking category. You can also search for transaction lines that haven't been assigned a tracking category.|
Recoding and tax
- We recommend coding no more than 200 transaction lines at a time. Frequent use of find and recode can affect the performance of your Xero organisation and reporting.
- To recode more transaction lines using the same query, in the Recode Summary (which displays after you confirm the recode), click this search. The transaction lines you've already recoded won't be displayed in the search results.
- When recoding the tax rate, the line total remains the same. The unit amount changes in proportion to the new tax amount.
- When you recode an invoice or bill that is generated by a repeating invoice or bill, the template won't be affected by the recode.
Restrictions on recoding
- Some system accounts can't be recoded. These include accounts receivable, accounts payable, unpaid expense claims, tracking transfers, bank revaluations, unrealised currency gains, bank accounts, fixed assets and tracked inventory.
- You can't recode a contact using a manual journal, you need to recode the source transaction.
- You can't search for archived contacts.
- You're unable to search for, or recode lines on purchase transactions (bills, supplier credit notes and spend money transactions) that use tracked inventory (account type = inventory).
- Transactions entered in a foreign currency can only be recoded using the source transaction option.
Please click on the link to get an overview https://tv.xero.com/detail/video/5127833321001/find-recode-in-xero
Do use the above function whenever possible to ease out the process.